First of all, identify your dream. I.e. Content creation for an arts&culture startup
Next up, FIND YOUR IDOLS. Build yourself from your favourite parts of each!
BRAND YOURSELF AS THE INFLUENCER OR YOUR NICHE!
Tools of the trade:
- https://pressfolios.com/ (has a free option for up to 12 stories)
- http://contently.net/portfolio/ (I also really liked their stance & work opportunities re: Content Marketing!)
- https://clippings.me/ (looks like it has great customisation options and very nice-looking interface)
(Poynter gives a great breakdown of all three, if you want to know the key differences:
Google drive (or similar) works well for:
- Recording coverage & mentions of you and your work.
- CIRCLE OF INFLUENCE: Use one spreadsheet to record your targets aka your ‘list’ or ‘Circle of Influence’.
- Follow all social channels for people you want to work with
- Facebook: share articles publicly and allow followers
– Events: Follow the event host, look for official hashtag
– Communities: Find Facebook groups relevant to your interests and share your work in a non-spammy, non-promotional way. share what’s relevant and will give value to the community
SHOW YOUR WORK:
Don’t be shy, share your work!
- Share your ‘behind the scenes creative process’ and use as the raw content for your blog/social media posts:
GRAB ATTENTION WITH VISUALS!!!!!!
- Instagram: Sync with Twitter & share the best photos to twitter:
PROVE YOUR WORTH:
- Share your work with your social media. Get interaction, likes, comments interests. Link this back to the client website & brand
- Update clients post-coverage with screenshots showing all the exposure their brand has been given by you
TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF:
- Keep track of hours, and how much is dedicated to each step in the process (ie preliminary research, interviewing/attending events/, writing, social sharing, followup)
- Only do stories that interest you and will add to the portfolio of work that you WANT to build up your portfolio (build up quality, not quantity)